AEA Professional Development
AEA offers its members numerous opportunities for professional development through statewide conferences where members are offered workshops to further their professional knowledge. They learn about issues affecting their profession, earn CEUs and PLUs for their certifications, and become current in what’s happening in their association and their profession.
- AEA Professional Rights and Responsibilities Conference – Held in April every year, this conference offers members breakout sessions on legal issues – tenure, fair dismissal, transfers, and many other topics – and updates the membership on education issues being brought before the Legislature.
- AEA Summer Leadership Conference – Held in June every year, this conference offers members breakout sessions on leadership – how to become an Association Representative, the history of the association, how to be an effective local leader – along with sessions on social media, public relations, legal issues, and many other topics.
- AEA Minority Leadership Conference – This conference is offered every November and is recognized as one of the most innovative conferences in the nation. Sessions are offered for all members of the education family on topics such as cultural competence, leadership skills, bullying, parliamentary procedure, technology, and much more. Professional learning sessions are provided for educators to earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and to begin professional studies to earn Professional Learning Units (PLUs).
- AEA PLU/CEU Regional Conferences – The Education Policy and Professional Practice (EPPP) department of the AEA is launching its sixth year of professional studies for educators who want to earn Professional Learning Units (PLUs). The professional studies presented by the EPPP department have been approved by the Alabama Council for Leadership Development.
- AEA Delegate Assembly – The AEA Delegate Assembly is the annual meeting of AEA delegates – elected from each local association in the state – that sets the agenda for the AEA leadership team. Delegates pass resolutions and set the association’s action agenda for the coming year. AEA’s leadership uses the action agenda as a guide when working with the Legislature on behalf of AEA members.
NEA Professional Services and Programs
- NEA Academy® Degree & Continuing Education Program – Offers members an affordable way to earn their degree and continuing education through online courses. NEA member specific scholarships available.
- Carson Dellosa Publishing – A one-stop educators resource for classroom, instructional, and resource activities, along with bulletin board, student incentives, and more. Exclusive 15% discount on all orders and free shipping on orders over $35.
- Curriki – Free access to peer-reviewed content with opportunities to collaborate with other educators and share your own content.
- Digital Wish – Lets you build a wish list of technology products for your classroom.
- Lesson Planet – The search engine for teachers with over 350,000 reviews, lesson plans, activities and more. 20% off registration.
- TeachAde.com – A professional community to share ideas, media and lessons.
- Teachers-Teachers – Free online job search site for educators.
- Uboost – Help students feel good about their accomplishments with recognized, positive behavior awards.